Welcome...

Hi, my name is Mechelle Noyes and this is my first semester at Yavapai College. I am returning to school after a twenty-plus year break. I have a depressing story to explain why, but it really does not matter after all this time. Instead of finishing college I moved out of my parents house and started working full-time. As we all know, living independantly means paying your own way...for everything. (Rent, groceries, utilities, car, insurance) and the list goes on and on. Before I knew it I was on the "highway of life" and it was a one-way road.


Fast forward to present day: I have been happily married for five years and a mom to three year old twin daughters, Amanda and Katie. My life changed dramatically once the girls were born. I have been in constant motion ever since. Although I LOVE being a mom, it is easy to lose one's self in the daily operations. There are not enough hours in my day to accomodate the wants and needs of my family, but I try.


I have always wanted to go to college and get a degree. Now that my girls have started pre school I have a little free time to do something for myself. My children have inspired me to get a degree in Early Childhood Education and I hope to either work in a pre-school or day care setting. I can't wait.



Monday, October 11, 2010

Mid-Session Check-In Blog

October 11, 2010

Laura Cline
Communications Division
Yavapai College, Prescott Campus
Building 3, Room 221

Dear Mrs. Cline:

     I am so excited to have made it to mid-session in my English 102 class. Although I had several moments when I thought I was a ship sinking fast, I have managed to stay afloat. I feel one of my biggest challenges thus far has been starting my essays. I sit and stare at the paper waiting for words to magically appear. However, I feel my biggest success was getting a passing grade on my first essay after twenty-plus years of not being in school. I worked really hard on it and I was so happy to have received a thumbs-up. It was the boost of confidence I needed to help me realize that I really can do this.  Another challenge for me has been taking this class online.  I have found that I am a hands-on learner and really need to be in a classroom environment to fully understand what is required of my assignments.  I need to be able to ask questions and get real-time feedback. 
     The readings we have done so far have been an eye-opening experience for me. Unfortunately, I have lived most of my life without really being interested in the various wars our country has fought. I didn’t ask questions and I didn’t really care to educate myself on the history of war. This is a sad, but true statement.  However, after reading “The Sandstorm” and “The Things They Carried” I have found myself to be very interested in the history of war, both past and present. I plan to continue to educate myself on this topic even after this class is over.
     As far as differentiating literary analysis from other types of writing I have done in college I must say that I am just at the beginning of my college education.  I have not had the opportunity to do a lot of writing, with the exception of your class. I do expect however to do a lot of writing as I continue on with my education.
     My goals for the second half of the semester are to understand the various aspects of writing an essay. I want to be able to recognize a thesis when I read one.  I also want to write with more confidence.  I know that as I continue to learn composition my writing skills will improve and I will feel more confident in my role as a student.

Sincerely,
Mechelle Noyes

No comments:

Post a Comment